60 killed in airstrikes in Syria’s Idlib: Monitoring group

60 killed in airstrikes in Syria’s Idlib: Monitoring group


This photo by AFP purportedly shows a Syrian man receiving treatment following an airstrike in Khan Sheikhun in the northwestern Syrian Idlib Province on April 4, 2017.

A monitoring group says at least 60 people have died in airstrikes in Syria’s northwestern Idlib Province.

The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human rights said dozens were also wounded in the airstrikes, which it said targeted the province on Tuesday.

The pro-opposition body cited “medical sources” as saying that victims displayed symptoms of asphyxiation, which they said could mean that chemical agents were used in the attacks.

Those claims and the report about the alleged attacks could not be independently verified.

The United States and its allies have in the past accused the Syrian military of conducting such attacks. This is while Syria turned its entire chemical arsenal over to international monitors under a deal negotiated by Russia and the United States back in 2013.

The Syrian stockpiles of chemical weapons were surrendered in a joint mission comprising representatives of the United Nations (UN) and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) in 2014.

A vessel is seen off the Syrian port city of Latakia on February 10, 2014 during its second pick-up of chemical weapons from Syria. (Photo by Reuters)

That same year, Daesh started a campaign of deadly terror in the Arab country. Damascus has continuously warned about the deployment of chemical arms by Daesh and its fellow Takfiri outfits against civilian targets.

Read more:

The Syrian government and the anti-Damascus militants reached a deal last Wednesday enabling the evacuation of civilians from the Shia-populated towns of al-Foua and Kefraya in Idlib, which have been under militant siege, in exchange for the evacuation of militants and their families from the Sunni-majority towns of Zabadani and Madaya near Syria’s border with Lebanon.

But the Observatory said on Tuesday that those evacuations had been delayed over reservations by the residents in the four towns and other issues.

A ceasefire has also been largely holding over the entire country, but it excludes internationally-recognized terrorist groups.


Click here to read the full article.