British tourists get 'food poisoning' at Thomas Cook resort in Cuba
British tourists in Cuba are treated on IV drips after ‘food poisoning’ bug at ANOTHER Thomas Cook resort – just weeks after UK couple died at Egyptian hotel
- Guests complained about falling ill after eating at Playa Pesquero’s restaurant
- The luxury hotel has been site of a number of previous mass sickness outbreaks
- Earlier this year, bride Leigh Hall was attached to a drip on her wedding night
Guests at another Thomas Cook hotel have been put on IV drips after being hit by suspected food poisoning, just days after a couple died from the disease at another of the package holiday company’s resorts.
British tourists at the Playa Pesquero hotel restaurant in Cuba have complained of falling severely ill with diarrhoea and sickness after eating at the restaurant.
The luxury hotel in Cuba has been the site of a number of previous mass sickness outbreak in 2012, as Thomas Cook was forced to pay out £150,000 in compensation to 20 victims. There was another outbreak in 2014.
The latest outbreak in Cuba has been ongoing for the past three week, and hotel staff have allegedly been trying to bribe guests with the offer of paying their medical bills in return for them signing a disclaimer to stop them claiming compensation.
Customers online have moaned about raw or undercooked food along with dirty utensils but a past report scored the hotel for nearly 100 per cent for food preparation and serving food.
Earlier this year, Leigh Hall fell ill at the same resort in Cuba
Guests have complained about falling severely ill with diarrhoea and sickness after eating at the onsite restaurants at the Playa Pesquero hotel restaurant in Cuba
Bride Leigh Hall was attached to a drip on her wedding night after falling ill with suspected salmonella at the resort in May this year.
It also comes just days after the death of a British couple at another Thomas Cook resort in Egypt last week.
John Cooper, 69, and his 63-year-old wife Susan died within hours of each other at the Steigenberger Aqua magic hotel.
The hotel has had a number of outbreaks of illnesses in the past few years
Guests at the hotel have taken to Facebook to complain about the conditions of the Playa Pesquero hotel in Cuba
Devoted: Susan Cooper, 63, and her husband John Cooper, 69 (pictured together), were on holiday at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel in the Red Sea resort town of Hurghada when they died within hours of each other this week
Nick Harris Head of Travel at Simpson Millar solicitors – who has been contacted by victims caught up in the latest outbreak- blasted: ‘This is totally unacceptable. There is a worrying pattern here with Thomas Cook and illness. People go on holiday to relax not fall violently ill.
‘And then for the hotel to try to bribe them when their violently ill with a disclaimer is sickening behaviour. It is even worse as some of the cases involve children.
She was attached to a drip on her wedding night after falling ill with suspected salmonella
‘People have complained of poor food hygiene, dirty equipment and under-cooked food with birds in and their droppings in the restaurant and food.
‘It’s a disgrace and Thomas Cook should be doing more to ensure their guests safety.’
Guests online have moaned about the shoddy conditions, including their dirty swimming pools.
In one post Emily B said: ‘This place is awful children were scared to eat for fear of having illness. The hotel know that there is an issue with diarrohea and vomiting but are doing nothing to contain the problem.’
Sunflower 064, from Coventry posted: ‘We’ve just returned home from 9th visit and our last. I suffered food poisoning within two days resulting in needing IV drips and antibiotics.’
While Maja25x from Manchester said: ‘My husband got ill with food poisoning so did many other people and their children and heard about sixty people being sick from the Thomas Cook rep as we asked her straight.
‘Hubby got an injection, antibiotics and also an iv drip. Its been a nightmare. Hotel tries to hide the outbreak by offering free medical treatments only after people sign a disclaimer that states you didn’t get sick at the hotel and you can’t comment about it.’
In May, Leigh Hall spent £3,750 with travel giant Thomas Cook for to spend her wedding day and honeymoon there.
She said: ‘Most brides get carried over the threshold on their wedding night, but I got wheeled into hospital.’
When contacted by MailOnline her tour operator Thomas Cook later offered her £3,000 over her ordeal. Lawyers for holidaymakers stranded in the latest outbreak on the Caribbean island said residents at the hotel in Holguin had fallen ill over the last few weeks.
They suspect a repeat of previous food poisoning outbreaks in 2012 and 2014 at the same hotel, which is also used by other tour operators.
One father-of-four who has just returned from the resort said all his family fell ill including his children.
The happy couple on their holiday before Leigh Hall was striken by an illness
He said: ‘Food poisoning was rife.’
A spokesperson for Thomas Cook said: ‘We are aware of a small number of illness reports from customers staying at the Hotel Playa Pesquero.
‘We’re monitoring this closely and are working with the hotel to ensure a high standard of hygiene is in place at all time.
‘We take all illness very seriously and are not aware of any customers needing hospital treatment.
‘If you do have any illness concerns please do speak to our reps who are on hand to help.’