Charlton footballer probed over Ibiza hotel rape of British teenager flies back to England after travel ban is lifted
- Reeco Hackett-Fairchild had his passport returned to him at midday today
- Was returning to London today after lawyer successfully got travel ban lifted
- The footballer has always insisted he is innocent of any wrongdoing
A footballer being probed over an alleged Ibiza hotel rape has flown back to the UK after having his travel ban lifted.
Charlton striker Reeco Hackett-Fairchild, 20, had his passport taken away by a judge following his arrest on June 12 over the alleged sex attack on a 19-year-old British holidaymaker.
A lawyer acting for Charlton striker Reeco Hackett-Fairchild (pictured) successfully fought for the footballer’s punitive travel ban to be lifted. He was arrested by National Police officers on June 12 in San Jose in Ibiza
But he was jetting back to London today (Wednesday) after his lawyer successfully fought for the punitive travel ban to be lifted.
The footballer was given the news after the investigating judge agreed to a request to view videos recorded on his and fellow Charlton striker Karlan Ahearne-Grant’s mobile phones.
Hackett-Fairchild’s lawyer Jaime Campaner told the judge he was confident the videos would undermine the alleged victim’s claim she had been raped and show she had consensual sex with two of the three men under investigation.
Karlan Ahearne-Grant (shown being arrested on June 12) is being investigated on suspicion of a privacy offence thought to relate to a mobile phone recording he made – but not a sex crime. He is also allowed to leave Ibiza after his travel ban was lifted
Investigating judge Carmen Martin Montero ruled Hackett-Fairchild could leave Ibiza the same day she watched the videos with his defence lawyer and state prosecutors.
The footballer, who has always insisted he is innocent of any wrongdoing, was given his passport back at midday today and was due to catch a flight home later the same day.
He remains under investigation – and has to sign on at the Spanish Embassy in London twice a month as part of his new bail conditions.
But the key development in the ongoing judicial probe will enable him to resume his on-hold career – and will give his defence team ammunition to fight any future decision to put him on trial.
Non-footballer Olusola Odejayi (above), a 26-year-old Brit who also had his passport taken away, has also had his travel ban lifted
Ibiza’s Court of Investigation Number Three – the court now leading the criminal probe – is still waiting for forensic tests to come back.
But the forensic doctor who examined the alleged rape victim has already made it clear he found no sign of injury including bruising that might show she had been forced to have sex.
And a previous judge who questioned the three men arrested over the June 11 incident at a hotel in Cal de Bou near the party resort of San Antonio has admitted to ‘reasonable doubts’ a sex attack took place.
Carmen Robles Zamora also described the suspects’ version of events as ‘credible and coherent’ in a written ruling last month.
Hackett-Fairchild will now be available to play in a second pre-season friendly for his club scheduled for this Saturday.
Non-footballer Olusola Odejayi, a 26-year-old Brit who also had his passport taken away, has also had his travel ban lifted.
All three suspects including Karlan Ahearne-Grant’s bail conditions are now the same – the twice-a-month signing-on at the Spanish Embassy in London. None of the men have been charged, as is customary in Spain where formal charges are only laid shortly before trial.
Ahearne-Grant is being investigated on suspicion of a privacy offence thought to relate to a mobile phone recording he made – but not a sex crime.
Court sources said today that the men who had been forced to stay on Ibiza were being allowed to leave partly because as a result of the phone video viewings, they were no longer deemed to be a flight risk.
The two Charlton footballers were arrested early on June 12 after the alleged victim’s parents took her to police to lodge a formal complaint.
Odejayi, who is not believed to be a professional footballer, was held the following day after an ID parade.
He told police he had sex with the teenage Brit tourist, but said it was consensual.
A Spanish National Police spokesman said after the first two arrests: ‘National Police officers arrested two English men on June 12 in San Jose in Ibiza as the suspected authors of a sex attack.
‘The parents of the 19-year-old victim, who is also British, reported the incident to police.
‘It would appear the victim and a female friend of hers who were on holiday in Ibiza with the victim’s parents, went to San Antonio on the afternoon of June 11 and met several lads from a football team in the UK in a bar there.
‘Both women agreed to go back with the some of the men to the hotel they were staying at, in the municipality of San Jose.
‘Once they were in a room, one of the youngsters was allegedly sexually attacked by one of the players, while a second took hold of her and a third recorded her on a mobile phone.
‘After the incident, the visibly affected victim and her friend left the hotel to go back to the woman’s parents.
‘The victim’s parents quickly suspected something was wrong and after discovering what had happened, went to speak to the National Police.
‘National Police officers went to the hotel where those allegedly responsible for the sex attack were staying, and subsequently arrested two men.
‘The police investigations are ongoing and further arrests in the coming hours have not been ruled out.’
Karlan Ahearne-Grant (pictured) is being investigated on suspicion of a privacy offence but not a sex crime and has to sign on at the Spanish Embassy in London twice a month as part of his release conditions
The spokesman confirmed the third arrest the following day, describing the detainee as a 26-year-old British national.
The judicial investigation was launched to determine the involvement of each of the three men in the incident and clarify if police were given an accurate version of events by the alleged victim, her friend and the three men.
During questioning, the friend told the judge that she had been in a neighbouring room and had not heard anything.
Cala de Bou, which is in the municipality of San Jose, is a popular location for tourists looking to stay somewhere quieter than San Antonio but within easy reach of the brash party resort.
It is just seven miles from the airport and home to a number of hotels and short-stay holiday apartments.
Greenwich-born Ahearne-Grant is a forward who signed with Charlton as a 17-year-old in September 2014.
He has made more than 60 appearances with the club in Championship and League One football and has played for England at U17, U18 and U19.
Redbridge born Hackett-Fairchild made his professional debut with Charlton in August last year, and hit the net twice in 12 appearances.
He has previously spent time with Dagenham & Redbridge and Dulwich Hamlet.
A Charlton Athletic spokesman said after the arrests: ‘The club have been made aware and are looking into this matter.
‘Due to the ongoing investigation we will not be commenting any further at this stage.’