Confusion as Immigration, Customs deny receipt of travel ban list
There is confusion on the set of over 50 high-profile Nigerians positioned on a travel ban by the government last Saturday as security agencies, like the Nigeria Immigration Nigeria and Service Customs Service have said the list isn’t with them.
However, the Presidency insisted on Friday that the travel ban list have been sent to the many security agencies through the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN).
saturday announced that security agencies
President Muhammadu Buhari had last, like the NIS, had placed over 50 high-profile Nigerians on a wrist watch list and restricted them from leaving the national country, pending the determination of these corruption cases with the many security agencies.
The development followed the judicial affirmation of the constitutionality and legality of the Executive Order 6 by the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja last Thursday.
Buhari spoke through his Senior Special Assistant (Media and Publicity), Garba Shehu, in a statement issued in Abuja.
“To this final end, several enforcement procedures are in place where the Nigeria Immigration Service along with other security agencies have placed no less than 50 high-profile persons directly suffering from EO6 on watch list and restricted them from leaving the united states, pending the determination of these cases,” the statement titled, ‘Buhari directs implementation of EO6 completely force’, had read partly.
However, the NIS spokesman, Sunday james, on Friday that the Immigration hadn’t received any list detailing names of corrupt persons confirmed, adding that the ongoing service would enforce the travel ban whenever it got such list and directive.
“We’ve not received the travel ban list; we have been a police agency, our service will enforce whatever directive the government gives to us fully. So, after the directive (travel ban) is given, we will comply. We have been an enforcement agency, we don’t have worthwhile reason never to comply,” on Friday he told among our correspondents in a telephone conversation.
In exactly the same vein, the NCS on Friday told among our correspondents that it had yet to get any list containing the names of 50 high-profile Nigerians banned from travelling out from the country.
According to the general public Relations Officer, NCS, Joseph Attah, the government must send this type of list to the service yet.
He said, “There’s none of such as for example when i know far. I’ve not seen such list when i consult with you. However, when there is any development that’s necessary to allow public find out about, I’ll inform you.”
Furthermore, investigations by among our correspondents showed that the Department of State Services was also not given an inventory containing the names of these being barred from leaving the united states.
Sources to the security agencies close, however, said that there have been individual names that had either been placed either on watch list or stopped from travelling by courts.
These individuals, the sources added, were being watched.
One of the sources said, “We’ve names of people that were on watch lists for a few right time. There are a few who’ve been barred from travelling by courts etc. So, those social folks are being watched.
“However, I’m unaware of any special list which has the names around 50 people to be speculated in the media.”
Another source noted that a number of the popular names trending online had earlier been barred by courts from travelling.
Google News, Bing News, Yahoo News, 200+ publications
Travel ban list with security agencies, Presidency insists
on Friday that the nation&rsquo
But the Presidency insisted;s security agencies were already in possession of the set of about 50 Nigerians positioned on travel ban within moves to implement Executive Order 6 signed by the President.
The Senior Special Assistant to the elected president on Media and Publicity, Shehu, said this within an interview with among our correspondents.
Shehu said the info distributed around him by Malami was that the list have been distributed around the security agencies.
The presidential spokesman said he previously no justification to doubt the AGF.
“The list has been created by the AGF open to them.
“This is the given information open to me and I don’ t have worthwhile reason to doubt him,” he said.
Security agencies, like the NIS, NCS and the DSS at the Lagos and Abuja airports also said that they had yet to possess any new travel ban list.
Findings at various commands of the immigration indicated that the NIS hadn’t received the names of these to be on the watch list.
A source at the NIS command in Lagos which oversees the Murtala Muhammed AIRPORT TERMINAL Immigration formation, said the national government had yet to send the names suffering from the Executive Order in their mind.
The official explained that lots of high-profile individuals whose names were reported to be on the list were seen travelling from the country through the week.
“A prominent lawyer and Senior Advocate of Nigeria who’s facing corruption trial and who was simply mentioned as you of those suffering from the Executive Order was seen travelling out of your country through the week, but nobody stopped him because there is no directive compared to that effect from the national government,” the operative explained.
Also, sources in the NIS at the Nnamdi Azikiwe AIRPORT TERMINAL, Abuja, claimed they had to start to see the list yet.
Meanwhile, the Spokesperson for the AGF, Mr. Salihu Isah, cannot be reached for his comments on the known degree of implementation of Executive Order 6.
While the calls designed to his line didn’t connect, the written text message inquiry delivered to his phone had yet to be delivered by enough time of filing this report.
Following the judicial affirmation of the constitutionality and legality of the Executive Order 6 last, Saturday mandated the AGF to implement the order completely force buhari had last.
Aside the travel ban, Buhari said the financial transactions of these suffering from the travel ban were also being monitored by the relevant agencies to make certain the assets weren’t dissipated.
Explaining the explanation for the travel ban, a statement by the President’s media aide had said, “It really is instructive to notice that the EO6 was specifically directed to relevant police agencies to make sure that all assets inside a minimum value of N50m or equivalent, at the mercy of litigation or investigation are protected from dissipation by using all available lawful means, pending the ultimate determination of any corruption-related matter.”
Meanwhile, the Presidency has refused to help make the list public.
Stating the nice reason behind this, Shehu had in a statement said, “I would like to confirm for you that we haven’t released any list and we have been not doing this. These cases are popular also to say this or that name is onto it will open the entranceway to help expand accusations, including trial by media. The Immigration Service along with other security agencies have the mandate of the President to handle enforcement and they’ll achieve this giving due respects to individual rights, based on the constitution.