Monday’s attack by suspected members of the RKK group wounded 12 policemen. (Bangkok Post photo)
An arrest warrant has been approved for a man suspected of being involved in a drive-by shooting attack in Narathiwat last week, in which one police officer was killed.
Speaking at the Southern Border Provinces Police Operation Centre in Yala’s Muang district Thursday as he met police probing the attack, deputy national police chief Srivara Ransibrahmanakul, disclosed the warrant move but declined to reveal the identity of the suspect.
He said only the man is at the operational level of an insurgency group.
DNA samples and fingerprints collected from the scene are being examined to determine other culprits, he said, adding forensic officers will conclude their examination today.
The attack took place last Thursday when about five people in the back of a silver Toyota Revo pickup opened fire at about 30 policemen standing to attention at their morning briefing in the Rangae district police station compound.
A policeman on duty at the gate returned fire, prompting the attackers to flee.
They scattered metal spikes on the road as they drove off to prevent any pursuit.
Police later found about 30 spent shells from M16 and HK assault rifles on the road.
The dead officer was identified as 30-year-old Pol Cpl Supaksorn Sayukhongthon. Five other officers were wounded.
Police believe the pickup was stolen in Sukhirin district prior to the attack.
Thursday’s police meeting also discussed an attack on Monday in which 12 police were wounded in a gun and bomb attack on a security checkpoint in Yala’s Krong Pinang district.
It is believed at least 20 insurgents were involved.
Pol Gen Srivara said evidence linked to the firearms used in the attack is being examined to seek arrest warrants for the suspected attackers.
About 800 bullet shells from various kinds of firearms were recovered.