Media reporter survives shooting in Uruguay

This posting is an important update by the Committee to protect journalists and the freedom of the press worldwide:

Two unidentified guys riding a motorcycle on Feb 7, 2017, shot at Isabel Prieto Ferná ndez, a media reporter with the Uruguayan weekly Caras y Caretas , because she was driving to her house in Montevideo from the beachside city of El Pinar, according to push reports.

A 9mm topic grazed Prieto Ferná ndez’s mind, but she escaped with minimal injuries only, according to press reviews. She stopped driving and documented the incident when she noticed a police car. She had been taken to the Sanatorio Americano Medical center in Montevideo, according to a report within Caras y Caretas .

Speaking at the Uruguayan Press Association’s office in Montevideo on February 9, Prieto Ferná ndez said the assailants hadn’t tried to stop her car, which she did not think they were seeking to rob her, according to a report within the newspaper Diario El Pueblo . An editorial in Caras y Caretas said that the attack got the characteristics of attempted murder, not really a robbery, although the newspaper could not totally dismiss the possibility that the assailants have been trying to rob the journalist.

Caras con Caretas documented that Interior Minister Eduardo Bonomi and national police director Mario Layera told Prieto Ferná ndez and members of the Uruguayan Push Association that police had not eliminated any possible motive, but which they were leaning toward the speculation that the attack had been a botched robbery.

Prieto Ferná ndez covers general news for your newspaper. The day before the attack, the lady published about her encounter unsuccessfully seeking information from law enforcement about a murder case.

Click here to read the full article.