PR Newswire (paid press release):
MIAMI BEACH, Fla., May 1, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — Miami Beach is set to host a jam-packed month of events for athletes and sport lovers from across the globe. From Olympic-style games to competitive fishing and masterful karate, Miami Beach is ready to kick the competition into high gear and welcome all who’ve traveled to attend fun and furious events throughout the month, while taking advantage of the fantastic weather, miles of beachfront and a wealth of entertainment activities.
“Miami Beach is known for its active lifestyle, and this lineup of athletic events further showcases the city’s love of sports,” says Peggy Benua, Chair of the Miami Beach Visitor and Convention Authority (MBVCA). “We open our arms to athletes, guests and residents to celebrate the spirit of friendly competition with us and experience why Miami Beach is truly like no other place in the world.”
TravelWireNews Chatroom for Readers (join us)
World OutGames Miami 2017 will welcome athletes, participants, spectators and thought leaders from around the globe beginning May 26 through June 4, 2017. Making its U.S. debut, the 10-day event will bring to life a series of events across the areas of Sports, Culture and Human Rights. Photo Credit: Microgen/Shutterstock.com
Miami Beach takes the global stage with events including the World OutGames. From May 26 to June 4, the OutGames will bring more than 450 events to the warm sands of Miami Beach. Hosted in a U.S. city for the very first time in history, the World OutGames joins competitors and spectators from all backgrounds and walks of life. Whether participants are seasoned professionals or novices playing for fun, the games are committed to being non-discriminatory and offer events for every skill level. Along with sports, the 10-day event features a range of arts and social events, including a main Festival Village at Lummus Park, live performances at the Colony Theatre, and a human rights conference featuring speakers from the United Nations.
“As a leading destination for LGBT-inclusiveness, Miami Beach is the perfect place for the first ever World OutGames in the U.S.,” says Grisette Roque, Executive Director of the MBVCA. “We’re honored to host the games and show athletes and dignitaries from around the world what makes Miami Beach so vibrant and extraordinary.”
Showcasing fierce competition on the water, the Yamaha Contender Miami Sportfish Tournament is returning to the Miami Beach Marina on May 4 and 6. For those in it to win it, the Top Boat Prize winner receives a grand sum of $30,000 and participants can raffle for a new speed boat. On May 6, the tournament wraps up with a Dock Party and Baywalk festival during the day and a silent auction at night.
Sparring on the competitive world stage, the Masters Karate Tournament is headed to the Deauville Beach Resort on May 13. Hosted by Master Manny Reyes, this year’s tournament is adding a new discipline, Judo Kickbox, and is drawing over 500 competitors from more than eight countries.
For more information on sporting events and happenings on Miami Beach, download the Miami Beach Information App at www.MiamiBeachAPI.com.
World OutGames Miami 2017
The World OutGames consists of more than 450 events spanning sport, culture and human rights at the Miami Beach Convention Center May 26 – June 4. Highlights include:
- Beach Volleyball, May 30 – June 2
- Marathon | Half Marathon, June 3
- Basketball, May 29 – June 2
- Main Village, May 26 – June 4: The Festival Village at Lummus Park will be open throughout the duration of the games. With two entertainment stages, a women’s space, a family area, an adult zone, food and drink, and a variety of vendors and entertainment, the village welcomes thousands of athletes and spectators from across the globe.
- Global Conference on Human Rights, May 26-29: Held in the Miami Beach Convention Center, the conference invites the most powerful global gathering of respected human rights activists, researchers, legal scholars and organizations. With more than 25 speakers from around the world — including Cuba, Thailand, the United Kingdom, Miccosukee Reservation and more — the conference opens discussion about supporting inclusivity in sports, health and wellness, and social justice.
- Dance Now! Miami Presents: Out, May 29: Performing the 1988 landmark work of Edward Stierle, a commentary on the AIDS epidemic of the time, the ballet includes a feature presentation from the South Beach Chamber Ensemble.
Yamaha Contender Miami Sportfish Tournament
As one of the biggest sportfish events of the year, the Yamaha Contender Miami Sportfish Tournament will be held on May 4 and May 6, with a $30,000 “Top Boat Prize”. Additional attractions include:
- Registration, Captain’s Meeting & Kick-Off Party, May 4: Inviting guests to enjoy appetizers from Flanigan’s and cold beer at the tournament’s main tent, the Kick-Off party serves a welcome reception for the tournament at the Miami Beach Marina.
- Miami Sportfishing Tournament Official Fishing Day, May 6
- The tournament and fishing will occur from 7 am – 4 pm with the official weigh in from 4 pm – 6 pm. The Dock Party and Baywalk Festival is from 3 – 6 pm, featuring artists, jewelry, marine products, cold cocktails, music, giveaways and more. The silent auction, beginning at 5:30 pm, is the perfect chance to catch great deals. Guests can enjoy discounts on a variety of items ranging from marine and consumer electronics, artwork, jewelry, trips and more.
The Masters Karate Tournament
Considered one of the most anticipated events in the South Florida karate circuit, the 4th Annual Masters Karate Tournament will be held on May 13 at the beautiful Deauville Beach Resort, attracting some of the best athletes in the field.
- The tournament, which is rated by Florida Black Belt Association (FBBA) and the World Kenpo Federation (WKF), offers spectator tickets for as low as $15
About Miami Beach
Recently named the World’s Leading City Tourist Board in 2016 and 2016 North America’s Leading Tourist Board by the World Travel Awards, first place in the 2017 and 2016 edition of the Travvy Awards, presented by travAlliancemedia in the categories of “Best LGBTQ Destination” and “Best Wedding Destination, U.S. & Canada” and a winner in the 2014, 2015 and 2016 Magellan Awards by Travel Weekly in the categories of “Destinations | Mobile App”, “Overall Spa Destinations| U.S and Canada” and “Overall Beaches Destinations| U.S and Canada” respectively, Miami Beach is a favorite destination among travelers worldwide. Renowned for its unparalleled culinary offerings, extravagant nightlife, rich culture, luxe shopping and plush hotels, Miami Beach is home to unique museums, the New World Symphony, Miami City Ballet, Miami Beach Convention Center, international festivals and art exhibitions, boat and auto shows, over 187 boutique and resort hotels and 12 public parks; it is no wonder the beautifully diverse city is one of the world’s most popular vacation destinations. Boasting seven miles of breathtaking beaches, Miami Beach is easily accessible from the Port of Miami and Miami International Airport. The City of Miami Beach has been named one of the top cities worldwide for ‘walkability’ and is equally easy to navigate by bike or boat. Known for its year-round sunny skies, the vibrant destination has been ranked by TripAdvisor as a Top Winter Sun Vacation Rental Getaway Destinations, Top Romantic Destinations, Top 25 Beaches in the World and Top 25 Destinations in the U.S. Miami Beach is like no other place in the world!
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/miami-beach-invites-athletes-and-sport-lovers-from-around-the-world-in-the-spirit-of-competition-in-may-300448861.html
SOURCE Miami Beach Visitor and Convention Authority
Click here to read the full article.