More sports, including a soccer stadium, will undoubtedly be pushed to improve tourism in Wake
The creation of more sports facilities — including the construction of a Major League Soccer Stadium — in Wake County were a number of the key recommendations in a newly unveiled tourism plan.
A stadium irrespective of its location is necessary for Wake County, in line with the plan, and may host a lot more than 75 events including other sports also, entertainment-related events and small meetings and conferences.
MLS planned to include two new cities in 2017 even though Raleigh fought for just one of both spots, it had been ultimately unsuccessful. A stadium — proposed for state-owned land in downtown — will be critical to landing a united team.
The Greater Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau unveiled its new strategic plan throughout a press conference and luncheon Thursday morning.
Other sports-related recommendations are the construction of a 100,000-to-150,000-square-foot indoor sports complex which could include greater than a dozen seat and courts a lot more than 4, 000 spectators and fans. It might be used to host youth and amateur tournaments and games.
The plan also demands the development of the Blue Ridge Corridor, a location of land that stretches down Blue Ridge Road which include the NEW YORK Museum of Art, UNC Rex Hospital and PNC Arena and Carter-Finley Stadium nearby. This may create an a “sports, entertainment, arts, scientific, agricultural and medical campus” including renovations to PNC Arena to attract more events.
But there’s a catch to the recommendation. It will happen only when the Hurricanes extend their lease.
The overall goal of the program? Attract 21.7 million visitors in Wake County by 2028 annually. For context, there have been a lot more than 16 million visitors who found Wake County in 2017.
Here’s a glance at a number of the other key recommendations contained in the a lot more than 150-page report:
▪ Renovate and expand the Raleigh Convention Center to add more space and a “headquarters hotel” with at the very least 400 rooms.
▪ Work out how to grow the area’s reputation around esports — gaming competitions &mdash usually; and host gaming tournaments.
▪ Increasing the amount of “signature festivals&rdquo and events; plus permanent or traveling exhibits at area museums and cultural institutions.
▪ Increase international tourism with people visiting from Canada, parts of Europe, India and china.
▪ Add design &ldquo and elements;unique visitor experiences” to projects within the county including Dix Park. These projects shouldn’t be for the residents who reside in the region just, but a venue an draw visitors.
This article will be updated with more information as it becomes available