Port shock Kirins despite missing fans

Port’s Sergio Gustavo celebrates after scoring against Muang Thong.

TravelWireNews Chatroom for Readers (join us)

Port ignored the absence of any support from the stands and produced a masterclass at SCG Stadium, beating last year’s runners-up Muang Thong United 2-0 in their second Thai League 1 outing of the season on Saturday night.

This time there was no three-goal miracle from young Chenrop Samphaodi in his first league start at home for the Kirins and the clash ended in a big loss.

Port, in a bid to avoid a repeat of bloody clashes between the fans of the two teams at the same venue last year, had advised their fans to watch the match on a giant screen at their PAT Stadium in Khlong Toey.

Muang Thong found themselves trailing as early as the seventh minute when Thailand international Peerapat Notechaiya guided the ball in his own net.

Sergio Gustavo’s goal at 65 minutes effectively ended the Kirins’ hopes of a recovery.

Port, following their second victory in a row, are now unbeaten against Muang Thong in three league games dating back to the last season.

Meanwhile, hosts Pattaya United bounced back from a losing start to thrash Chainat 4-1 last night.

The home team fans had barely settled in their seats at Dolphin Stadium when Doumbia Henri put the Hornbills ahead in the third minute.

However, Pattaya United, battered 3-0 by Port in their first game last week, quickly restored equilibrium as Lukian Almeida found the net.

Almeida was again on target shortly after the half-hour mark before completing a magnificent hat-trick at 59 minutes. Peeradon Chamratsamee scored the fourth for the hosts in the dying moments.

In another game last night, hosts Suphanburi edged Nakhon Ratchasima 1-0, thanks to a second-half strike by Wasan Homsan.

Earlier on Friday, Navy got their wish at Chonburi when they held the hosts to a 1-1 draw to claim one point from the Eastern region derby.

Chonburi were desperate to put their campaign on track following a 1-0 loss to Chiang Rai United last week in their first game of the season.

Navy, on the other hand, had a winning start to the league, defeating Ubon UMT United 1-0 at home.

Navy capitalised on a costly mistake by Chonburi goalkeeper Chanin Sae-ear and Rodrigo Vergelio put them in lead 10 minutes into the second half.

After conceding the goal, Chonburi pressured Navy and equalised through a goal from Satthawut Wongsai with 15 minutes left before the final whistle.

Navy coach Wiriya Phaophan said: “We got what we expected — we came here hoping for a point from this game. We should have won the match but then it was a pleasing game for everyone.”

New Chonburi coach Goran Barjaktarevic made no attempts to disguise his frustration at the end of the match.

“It is disappointing that we could not grab three points from this match because we controlled the game.

“We have to be content with the one point that we got today, accept the result and continue developing our team.”

Four more matches are scheduled to be played on Sunday.

%d bloggers like this: