Qantas' WA to London flights boost tourism
Visitor spending in Western Australia rose by $101 million in the first year of Qantas offering non-stop flights between London and Perth.
The 787 Dreamliner service is the only direct connection between Australia and Europe, travelling about 14,000 kilometres each flight.
Qantas Group chief executive Alan Joyce said about 60 per cent of passengers came from Australia, while UK residents made up most overseas passengers at 31 per cent.
There had also been a 30 per cent increase in passengers travelling between Australia and London via Perth, including a seven per cent increase in visitors from the UK coming to WA.
“We have people coming from the east coast to join the flight and it’s made it a lot easier for people in Europe to visit Australia,” he said on Tuesday.
“Almost every flight is full and it turned a profit almost immediately, which is rare for new services.”
Google News, Bing News, Yahoo News, 200+ publications
Mr Joyce said there had only been four cancelled flights out of 720 scheduled services.
QANTAS’ PERTH TO LONDON SERVICE FACTS:
– Flights have been 94 per cent full, with 155,000 passengers carried in the first year
– Average Perth to London flight time of 17 hours, one minute (fastest 16 hours, 19 minutes)
– Average London to Perth flight time of 16 hours, five minutes (fastest 15 hours, 15 minutes)
– 80 per cent of customers in the Perth lounge are using the stretching class at the yoga studio
– More than 450,000 meals served, with more than 42,000 Tim Tams eaten
– Most popular meals in business class: Cone Bay barramundi and beef and Yorkshire pudding
– Most popular meal in economy: Guinness beef pie with potato mash
– Most watched film: Mission Impossible: Fallout
– Top three television series binged: Ballers, Billions and Modern Family
– Seat 56F has watched the most entertainment of any seat.