Lights and signs will be added to the cave where 12 young soccer players were trapped for more than two weeks — to make sure that curious tourists don’t get stranded there, too, Thailand’s prime minister said on Tuesday.
“In future, we have to monitor the entrance and exit to the cave. This cave has become world famous . . . We have to install more lights inside the cave and put up signs,” Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha told reporters in Bangkok.
“It’s a dangerous cave,” Prayuth said, adding that safety measures would have to be put in place both outside and inside the cave.
Visitors are advised not to enter the cave during the rainy season because, obviously, it is prone to flooding.
A Tourism Authority of Thailand official last week said it has plans to promote the cave as an attraction, since the rescue effort captured the world’s attention.
“The cave has become of interest for both local and foreign travelers,” Karuna Dechatiwong told the media.
But Prayuth said that the cave would be closed to the public for a while until “everything is in order.”