From beachside shacks to slick city apartments: How full-time housesitters are living in luxury properties in Australia and overseas for just $129 a year – and here’s how you can do it too
- Travel hack allows people to experience the world with free accommodation as housesitters and pet-minders
- The website, TrustedHousesitters invites members to connect for house sitting purposes around the globe
- The win-win situation allows guests to live in their homes and mind their animals while the owners are away
- One couple estimate they will save $30,000 this year after they began house sitting two years ago in Europe
- To join the website, both house owners and house sitters pay the small cost of $129 for annual membership
- The website which has more than half a million members, lists properties in over 130 countries around world
- A list shows the five most luxurious properties in Australia that are listed on TrustedHousesitters website
A simple hack allows clever travellers to stay in the most luxurious houses around the globe for free – saving them thousands of dollars.
TrustedHousesitters connects home and pet-owners with willing housesitters to mind their home and care for their pets.
The win-win situation allows the house owners to travel without the stress and worry of leaving their house empty and pet alone.
One couple estimate that they will save themselves at least $30,000 this year from the website, while working full time jobs.
Brittnay Sharman, 29, from Melbourne, and Jayden McKinlay (pictured), 29, from Plymouth in New Zealand, have spent the past two years house sitting and estimate they’ll save themselves at least $30,000 this year
Brittnay Sharman, 29, from Melbourne, and Jayden McKinlay, 29, from Plymouth in New Zealand began house sitting two years ago when they approached the conclusion of a European holiday.
Upon returning from their holiday, the pair realised they were not ready to trade in adventure for normal living.
‘We enjoyed our getaways to European and African cities so much, we wanted to find a way to continue it,’ Sharman said.
‘We realised that house sitting could give us all the things we missed without having to settle somewhere,’ she said.
As well as saving thousands of dollars, the couple got to experience properties around the world, including picturesque Dublin, beachside properties in Melbourne and city pads in London.
The website has homes from 130 countries around the world, providing an exceptional travel experience for animal-lovers.
Housesitters can live in luxury with properties stretching from the Caribbean to Europe to the United States.
The only catch is a yearly membership fee of $129 for both the property owner and the traveller – a small cost for accommodation in the prominent properties.
While the website is global, Australia is not short of stunning properties that could give you the weekend escape you deserve.
Australia’s TOP FIVE properties:
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
This stunning property is located in the small seaside town of McCrae where housesitters can enjoy beaches and wineries.
The property owners are looking for a housesitter to mind their collie, Winston and a Australian Cattle Dog/Blue Heeler, Shelby.
The house with glass-windows and stunning views (pictured) is located in McCrae in Victoria
The property is home to collie Winston (pictured) and Australian Cattle Dog/Blue Heeler Shelby
The property which is located on the small seaside town on the Mornington Peninsula is known for wineries and beaches
The property balcony overlooks Port Philip Bay (pictured) and is close to shops and cafes
The homeowners are welcoming genuine dog lovers to care for a 12-year-old dashund, Cleo, who ‘loves interaction and snuggles beside you.’
The property is a converted warehouse that is closely located to sea views, cafes and bars.
The home is a converted warehouse located in Geelong, Victoria (pictured)
12-year-old Cleo lives at the property and ‘loves interaction and snuggles beside you.’ She is incontinent and wears nappies
The home (pictured) is a close walk to Corio Bay with lovely sea views. Melbourne is an hour away by train
Killara, New South Wales
The four-bedroom Sydney house sits on the edge of a national park where hosts can swim in the pool among greenery.
The home comes with two rescue cats, three recuse bunnies and a fish.
The recently renovated house located in Killara, Sydney, has four-bedrooms and a large veranda overlooking swimming pool
Pets at the property include: two recuse cats, three rescue bunnies (two bunnies pictured) and a fish
The house (pictured) is on the edge of a national park and 20-minutes away from Sydney CBD
Golden Beach, Queensland
The two bedroom apartment has stunning views of the Caloundra waterfront on the Sunshine Coast.
The homeowner travels often and needs a caring sitter to mind two shitzus.
The two bedroom apartment at Golden Beach on the Sunshine Coast has beautiful views of the ocean (pictured)
A luxurious swimming pool on is located on the property for guests to use (pictured)
The building has a common area for guests to enjoy leisurely time (pictured). It includes a spa, pool table and BBQ facilities
The homeowner who travels often has two shitzus on the right (pictured) need to be taken for walks twice daily
The balcony of the property shows the entire Caloundra waterfront (pictured) that has clear blue waters
This property is located in close proximity to to a creek and rain forest where sitters can explore the natural wonder of tropical Queensland.
Guests can visit tropical islands and the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns city which is a ten minute drive away – all for walking the owner’s two pet dogs.
The Cairns home backs onto a creek with rain forest surrounding it (pictured)
The home is a ten-minute drive from Cairns city where guests can travel onto the Reef and tropical islands
The property has two dogs (pictured) that the guests need to feed and walk
The beautiful property allows guests to enjoy the Northern Queensland tropical weather
- The online community has more than half a million members
- The service has saved members more than half a billion in accommodation and pet care costs
- It is on course for over one million nights of pet sitting in 2018
- Travellers can save money on accommodation as well as enhancing their experience through a furry friend to keep them company
- Homeowners can be assured that their pets and homes are being well-looked after
- Members and housesitters pay $129 for a yearly membership
In case you had some spare money for a plane ticket and an overseas getaway, these properties in California could not be missed.
The 4,700 square foot resort-style home features a full gym, outdoor swimming pool and garden.
The perfect relaxing getaway involves sunbathing with huskies Ghost and Stack and Ra the cat.
The resort-style home in Southern California has an outdoor swimming pool (pictured), a full gym and garden
The Californian property has two huskies (pictured) who need to be minded and taken on leisurely walks
The 4,700 square foot home has an open floor plan (pictured) with cosy spaces for guests
A sky view image of the property proves the luxury of the resort-style home (pictured)
The perfect property for an active holiday has its own stables and pools, surrounded by hiking trails, beaches and golf.
The massive property is spacious for the guest to care for the four dogs and three horses.
The home, with plenty of rooms, is located a short drive from Monterey, wine country.
The Carmel Valley home sits on top of a hill and his its own pool (pictured) and stables
Guests are required to look after the four dogs (pictured) and three retired horses
The home (pictured) is perfectly located for amazing views of sunrise and sunset
The property (pictured) is perfect for an active holiday as it is close to hiking trails, beaches and golf
‘From LA to New York, we see thousands of house and pet sits listed on our site each month. The locations are incredible, and the best part is you get the companionship of an adoring pet, which is something no other vacation can provide,’ Managing Direction, Tim Lions says.
Time for a holiday? We think so.
- Come and look after Winston and Shelby on the beautiful Mornington Peninsula | McCrae, Victoria, Australia – TrustedHousesitters.com
- Month-long sit in beautiful national park near Sydney | Killara, New South Wales, Australia – TrustedHousesitters.com
- House & Fur Babies Sitter required | Golden Beach, Queensland, Australia – TrustedHousesitters.com
- Dog sitter | Cairns, Queensland, Australia – TrustedHousesitters.com
- Urgent Pet Sitting of Dachshunds | Geelong, Victoria, Australia – TrustedHousesitters.com