It may be only October, but the Trainline has revealed that thrifty travellers can save a combined whopping £19 million when they book their Christmas travel in advance.
The equivalent of 7.6 million packs of mince pies or 2.4 million Christmas puddings, it equates to £58.71 on average each.
TravelWireNews Chatroom for Readers (join us)
Trainline‘s advance train travel booking window is now open so we advise checking your route now to see how much you can save.
Based on past experience, Trainline predicts Friday October 27 will be the busiest day for Brits booking their travel home for Christmas – but even they are too late. Booking advance train tickets now will not only help those looking to beat the festive travel rush, and using the Price Prediction tool in the Trainline app travellers can judge the best time to buy their tickets – before they go up in price.
Rather than waiting until the last minute, travellers who book now will save £58.71 – which is the equivalent of almost 10 bottles of mulled wine. The Trainline has compared the the top ten most popular routes this year, and the average savings from 2017 by booking in advance. Here’s how much you can save on each route:
- London Kings Cross – Edinburgh: £125.18
- London Kings Cross – Newcastle: £112.73
- London Kings Cross – York: £84.94
- London Kings Cross – Leeds: £102.93
- London Kings Cross – Doncaster: £82.59
- London Euston – Manchester: £189.03
- London Euston – Liverpool: £175.56
- York – London Kings Cross: £100.02
- London Euston – Glasgow Central: £164.91
- Leeds – London Kings Cross: £104.65
The Trainline’s tips to help get the most out of your festive train travel
1. BE ALERT – Most train operating companies have opened their Christmas booking window, but a few will be opening in the next few days. To be the first to know when your chosen journey becomes available use Trainline’s free Ticket Alert service: simply input your desired journey and be notified by email as soon as we detect that your chosen journey is available, so you can make savings and have the best chance of getting a reserved seat. Advance ticket release dates vary by operator, a full list can be found here.
2. NO DRIVIN’ HOME FOR CHRISTMAS NEEDED – the Trainline app’s Price Prediction tool predicts how long you’re likely to have left to buy tickets at the cheapest available price, so you can make the biggest savings.
3. VOICE YOUR EXCITEMENT – Trainline’s voice-activated train app, built for the Google Assistant, makes hands-free access to travel information as easy as (mince)pie. So, if you have your hands full after a mammoth shopping trip or simply don’t want to remove your gloves in the chilly weather, you can still access real-time train travel information. Simply ask the Google Assistant to “Talk to Trainline” or go straight to the information you need by saying, for example, “Ok Google, ask Trainline how my journey home is looking”.
4. SITTING PRETTY – With people bound to be laden with gifts when travelling to visit family and friends over the holiday period, extra space is on everyone’s wish list. The BusyBot feature in the Trainline app reveals the quietest parts of the train so you can head for the empty seats and have the best chance of travelling in comfort. But remember: the best way to bag a seat reservation is to book an Advance ticket – the sooner you book, the less likely you’ll need to sprint to find a seat.
5. FESTIVITIES WITH FRIENDS – If you’re travelling with family or friends, check out GroupSave with the Trainline app, where groups of 3-8 passengers who travel together on Off-Peak tickets may be eligible for a 34% discount.Invest in a National Railcard to reap the benefits of discounted train travel.
6. (W)INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL – For those who fancy escaping the UK and travelling further afield to enjoy the winter season in mainland Europe, Trainline lets you book travel to over 40 European countries. So, whether it’s a family trip to a stunning Christmas market or a ski holiday with friends, you can be sure of finding great prices for your travel.
7. CHRISTMAS DAY TRIPS – Have to travel on Christmas Day itself? There are no trains running, but Trainline sells coach tickets too, so you needn’t be stuck without any travel options on the day.
Figures from Trainline show people booking 6 weeks ahead rather than now will pay 45% more on a trip from Birmingham to London, 50% more on a trip from London to Coventry and 53% more if travelling between Liverpool and London.