Heavy snow and treacherous driving conditions has led to a night of disruption to North East travel networks.
Cars were stranded in blizzards and temperatures as low as -10C, with many roads closed due to impassable conditions as local authorities fought to keep our main roads clear.
TravelWireNews Chatroom for Readers (join us)
Thundersnow and lightning were experienced closer to North Sea coasts, while British Red Cross volunteers were called to Newcastle to help 500 families without power, caused by an underground fire at Cowgate Roundabout.
It has been the worst night of snow for years and this weather system dubbed The Beast from the East is not finished yet. Further Met Office amber ‘be prepared’ warnings in place for throughout Wednesday where forecasters say between 5-25cm could fall – on top of what we already have.
The advice is simple from emergency services – do not travel this week unless you absolutely have to.
- The A68 is closed near Corbridge in both directions due to snow between the A69 at the Stagshaw Roundabout and Ridsdale. Large lorries are stuck.
- One lane of the A1(M) is closed due to a crash northbound at junction 62 for Carrville. The crash is blocking the inside lane. (Update: All lanes have reopened, but traffic is heavy in the area)
- Hylton Lane in Sunderland is blocked in both directions due to snow between Washington Road and the A184 Addison Road. Several cars have also been abandoned on this stretch.
- The Tyne Tunnels are clear and passable in both directions. Travel may be slower on the roads due to the weather conditions, but the tunnels are open as normal.
(Image: Dan Bruce)
Due to the overnight snow fall, bus services are likely to experience delays and/or disruption.
Passengers are asked to allow extra time for journeys.
Where buses are unable to serve estates that have not been treated, passengers are advised, if possible, to walk to main road and catch a service there.
Update from Go North East:
Services are unable to operate most estates, if you require a service please use the bus stops on the main roads.
Service 2/2A and 4 are unable to serve Penshaw Bank Top, passengers advised to use bus stops at Shiny Row or Fatfield Bridge. Also unable to serve Biddick Lane/Fallowfield Way, operating along the A182 Washington Highway.
Services 8/8A unable to serve Biddick Lane/Fallowfield Way, services to operate along the A182 Washington Highway.
Service 97 is unable operate Parkway, Whickham, services operating up Fellside Road and Oakfield Road.
Train services have been suspended on Virgin Trains East Coast between Newcastle and Edinburgh Waverley due to the weather, which is particularly bad in Scotland.
Tickets dated today can be used at a later date, but check the specifics with Virgin.
Service is also suspended on CrossCountry trains between Newcastle and Glasgow Central.
(Image: Andrew Milligan/PA Wire)
Nexus say they plan to run Metro trains to all stations on Thursday, but at a reduced frequency.
They advise passengers to only travel if your journey is necessary, allow extra time and to look out for the latest travel updates.
A statement said: “We’re sorry for any inconvenience this causes.
“We have seen a large number of train and points faults becasue of the severe weather and our staff will work through the night to address these.”
Tyne & Wear Metro has tweeted this morning to say:
“We are running this morning but with some gaps on each line due to trains failing on the depot prior to entering service.”
Many flights to and from Newcastle Airport have been cancelled today.
(Image: Newcastle Chronicle)
The follow flights due to be departing Newcastle International Airport have been cancelled:
- BMI Regional to Brussels at 6.25am
- AirFrance to Paris at 6.30am.
- British Airways to London Heathrow at 12.05pm
- British Airways to London Heathrow at 5.10pm
- British Airways to London Heathrow at 7.25pm
- RyanAir to Dublin at 10.30pm
British Airways have cancelled three flight from London Heathrow scheduled to arrive in Newcastle at 11am, 4.20pm and 6.40pm.
The FR174 Ryanair flight from Dublin scheduled to arrive at 10.05pm has also been cancelled.