Tourism sector placed in jeopardy with measles scare – says Councilor
A Councilor with the St James Municipal Corporation believes that the tourism sector was placed in jeopardy when Opposition Spokesperson on Health Dr Dayton Campbell disclosed in Parliament last month that there was one confirmed imported case of measles in Jamaica.
The information took Minister of Health and Wellness Dr Christopher Tufton by surprise as he had not been made aware.
It was then reported that a child turned up at a private hospital in Montego Bay with complications associated with the highly contagious disease. However, the Ministry later said the case was not contagious and was not a threat to the population.
Councilor Charles Sinclair – of the Montego Bay North Eastern Division, labelled Campbell an “alarmist” saying his statement was irresponsible.
Speaking at the monthly meeting of the Corporation on Thursday, Sinclair asked acting Deputy Medical Officer of Health for the St James Health Department Dr Bailey Small whether the case would have been classified as a contagious case of measles.
According to Sinclair, the opposition spokesman should have spoken privately with officials from the Ministry of Health