TRAFFIC: Expect major headaches if you travel on I-10 tonight
TUCSON, AZ (KOLD News 13) – There are plenty of road projects ongoing in the Tucson area.
Last updated: Wednesday, May 15.
Eastbound Interstate 10 will close overnight between Ina and Orange Grove roads so Arizona Department of Transportation crews can remove overhead message signs.
Eastbound traffic will be directed to the eastbound frontage road during the work, which is scheduled to begin at 10 p.m. on Thursday, May 16, and continue until 5 a.m., Friday, May 17.
Both Ina and Orange Grove roads also will close at I-10 during the work. Drivers can use Cortaro, Sunset or Ruthrauff roads to cross I-10 during those hours.
Drivers can expect the following restrictions:
- Westbound Ina Road traffic will be directed to the westbound I-10 on-ramp. There will be no access to eastbound I-10.
- Eastbound Ina Road will be closed at Starcommerce Way, with traffic directed to the eastbound frontage road. Access to businesses in the area will remain open.
- Westbound Orange Grove Road traffic will be directed to the westbound I-10 on-ramp. There will be no access to eastbound I-10.
- Vehicles on eastbound I-10 will not have access to eastbound travel on either Ina or Orange Grove roads.
- Vehicles on westbound I-10 will not have access to westbound travel on either Ina or Orange Grove roads.
Work is expected to be completed before the morning rush on Friday, May 17.
As part of the paving operations for the La Cholla Blvd, Naranja Drive from La Cholla Blvd. east to Par Drive will close from Friday, May 17 at 7 p.m. to Monday, May 20 at 7 a.m. Delays may occur. Please consider using an alternative route.
Base paving operations on the west side of Houghton Road from the Union Pacific Railroad south to I-10 are complete. Crews are scheduled to shift traffic on Thursday, May 16, from the east side of Houghton road to the newly paved west side. The traffic switch is scheduled to occur at about 9 a.m. Once traffic has been shifted, crews will begin improvements on the east side of Houghton Road.
Drivers on Interstate 19 near Pima Mine Road should expect lane closures and delays Saturday, May 18, and Sunday, May 19. Work is scheduled between 5 a.m. and 6 p.m. each day.
Crews will be installing a final layer of pavement near the Pima Mine Road bridge. Ramps between I-19 and Pima Mine Road are expected to remain open.
An improvement project on Starr Pass Boulevard from Santa Cruz Lane to the eastbound Interstate-10 frontage road is set to begin Tuesday, May 7. This project is part of the voter-approved Proposition 101 Tucson Delivers Better Streets Program. Granite Construction, under contract with the city of Tucson Department of Transportation, will begin work by lowering manhole covers and water valve covers. Crews will then mill (remove) the existing asphalt, install new asphalt and raise the manhole covers and water valve covers flush with the new asphalt. This project is scheduled to take about 30 days to complete. The schedule is subject to change due to inclement weather or equipment malfunction. To lessen the impact on the traveling public, crews will work at night from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., Monday through Friday. Electronic message boards will be in place to alert motorists of this upcoming work.
The town of Marana will re-open Coachline Boulevard to two-way travel from Armor Crest Roads on Monday, May 6, and will begin the reconstruction of Coachline from Armor Crest to Twin Peaks roads. Due to existing roadway width, this phase of work will require restricting traffic in a one-way only configuration (southbound) between Armor Crest and Twin Peaks. Northbound travel along this portion of Coachline will not be permitted. Work is expected to be completed in early June 2019.
Drivers should expect nighttime lane and ramp closures on I-10 at Pinal Air Park Road on Wednesday, May 15, and Thursday, May 16, while crews install signs at the interchange. The following restrictions are planned from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. each night:
- Westbound I-10 will be reduced to a single lane;
- The westbound entrance and exit ramps between I-10 and Pinal Air Park Road will close to traffic;
- Eastbound I-10 will be reduced to two lanes.
AO Painting will paint the I-10 interchange bridge at Marana Road beginning the night of Monday, May 13, and concluding on Friday, May 17. Traffic may be delayed for a short period of time due to lane closures. All work will take place overnight between the hours of 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
The town of Marana will be spreading decorative rock along the shared use path on Tangerine Farms from east of Lon Adams Road to I-10. Work will last from Monday, May 13 through Friday, May 24. This will close the shared use path and will have minimal traffic delays on Tangerine Farms Road. Construction may restrict traffic lanes and create congestion. Flaggers may be present to direct traffic.
Drivers can expect delays on State Route 77 between East Miguel Road and the Gila/Pinal county line between May 2 and May 20 for paving work. Intermittent lane closures are scheduled for both directions of travel from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day. Arizona Department of Public Safety troopers will slow or stop traffic as needed.
ADOT advises drivers to plan ahead for the closure of the southbound Interstate 19 on-ramp at Ajo Way and to be prepared to use an alternate route for about two months. The work is part of the I-19 and Ajo Way traffic interchange project, which is now in its second phase.
- While the Ajo Way on-ramp is closed, drivers can use Irvington Road, 29th Street, 12th Avenue or Mission Road as alternate routes.
- I-19 will remain open with two lanes in each direction while ramp work is underway.
- Crews will be installing overhead lighting for two crosswalks on Esperanza Boulevard between I-19 and La Cañada Drive on Monday, April 15. The work, which will be done between 6 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., is expected to last four weeks. Minor delays and lane reductions may occur during this work.
- Motorists traveling east on Broadway between Euclid Avenue and Campbell Avenue can expect brief delays as crews conduct operations to place new pipeline beneath Broadway from the north side of the road to the south side. Operations are planned at Tyndall Avenue, Park Avenue, Highland Avenue, Cherry Avenue, and Warren Avenue, requiring short right-lane closures in those locations. Crews are scheduled to work Monday through Saturday from 6 a.m. until 4 p.m. The pipeline replacement work is expected to be complete in mid-June. For any questions or concerns, please call the project hotline at 844-258-7481.
- The reconstruction and repaving of Speedway Boulevard from Greasewood Road to Painted Hills Road is set to begin on Sunday, March 31. The project is scheduled to last two months. Work will happen every day from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. with some night work. Business and residential access will be maintained at all times during the project, except when heavy equipment is directly in front of driveways.
- Southwest Gas pipeline improvement project will begin on East Broadway Boulevard near Country Club Road on Monday, March 18 and is expected to last until late July. Work will begin on the frontage road adjacent to westbound Broadway from the intersection with Country Club Road westward to the 2700 block of East Broadway. A right lane closure will be in place around the clock on westbound Broadway starting east of Country Club and continuing past Treat Avenue. The westbound lane closure is expected to remain in effect until late April. Access to businesses will be maintained at all times and parking will be accommodated in front of the businesses. At the same time, crews will begin work on the eastbound side of Broadway just west of Treat Avenue, then continue south on Treat Avenue to East Manchester Street. A right lane closure on eastbound Broadway will be in place Monday starting west of Treat Avenue.Lane closures will be scheduled in both directions as the project continues and additional work hours, including potential night work, may be necessary. Southwest Gas will provide updated information about travel restrictions as the project continues.
- On Monday, March 18, around 10 a.m., Valencia Road east of Kolb Road will be closed for an extended period. The closure will allow work crews to reconstruct the section of Valencia Road from Kolb Road east to the newly constructed southeast ramp. During this temporary four-month closure, crews will remove the existing asphalt on Valencia Road, install new underground water lines, sewer lines and underground storm drain systems, as well as a new roadway subgrade, new asphalt, landscaping, street lights and sidewalks. All westbound and eastbound Valencia Road traffic on the east side of Kolb Road will use the new southeast ramp to access Kolb Road (please see the map below).