TT Government concerned about UK travel advisory regarding terrorism attacks
The Dr. Keith Rowley led administration in Trinidad and Tobago has expressed concern about a recent travel advisory from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in the United Kingdom. The advisory indicates “terrorists are likely to try to carry out attacks in Trinidad and Tobago.”
General threat from terrorism
Issued last week, the FCO advisory said, “There is a general threat from terrorism” in the twin island republic and these attacks could indiscriminate, including in places visited by foreigners.”
The advisory also warned that “Although there have been no recent attacks in Trinidad and Tobago, more than 100 Trinidad and Tobago nationals have traveled to Syria and Iraq to fight along with Daesh (formerly referred to as ISIL) and are likely to pose a security threat on return.”
Responding to the advisory on Tuesday via a statement, Rowley said his administration is “concerned about the content of the said advisory under that heading.” He said he had held talks with the British High Commission in Trinidad and Tobago on the matter.
The statement said the government “was informed that there was no recent update to the advisory and that the language on terrorism was included from May 2017.The government has registered its concern at the specific language used in the advisory. It has confirmed that there is no intelligence and in particular, no specific intelligence, which provoked the use of this language.
The prime minister said his country’s Ministry of National Security, and the various law enforcement authorities will continue to work closely with “our international allies, including the British, with respect to counter terrorism and the sharing of intelligence. This effort is aimed at ensuring our citizens and all persons in Trinidad and Tobago are safe.”