The Associated Press(AP) says the U.S. travel ban on North Korea is set to take effect from September first.
However, the Trump administration will allow American journalists, Red Cross employees and other humanitarian workers to apply for exemptions to the North Korea travel ban.
In documents posted online Tuesday, the U.S. State Department said that in addition to journalists and aid workers, Americans whose travel to North Korea “is otherwise in the national interest” will also be considered for exemptions.
Observers believe this exception has taken into account U.S. officials or other figures that may need to contact or negotiate with North Korea.
The AP said the new regulations are to be published Wednesday in the Federal Register, which posted the preview documents on its Web site.
The travel ban announced last month follows the death of American university student Otto Warmbier in June, who fell into a coma while in North Korean custody.
The 22-year-old visited the North in January last year when he was accused of stealing a propaganda poster and arrested. He was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor in March and was detained in North Korea for 17 months.
He was released in a coma on June 13th and returned to the U.S. but died just six days later.
TravelWireNews Chatroom for Readers (join us)