The Colombian embassy in Austria gives out a brochure pitching for its ambassador to become the leader of world tourism. The global travel and tourism industry now has a Colombian approach with Jaime Alberto Cabal competing with 6 other candidates to lead the United Nations World Tourism Organization.
His expertise and professional competence are related to the design and implementation of public policies for the development of strategic sectors and the socio-economic and sustainable development, especially in the industrial and tourism sectors.
TravelWireNews Chatroom for Readers (join us)
Besides being Minister of Tourism for Colombia, he was member of the Executive Boards of the Tourism Promotion Entity of Colombia, PROCOLOMBIA, and the Colombian Tourism Promotion Fund, FONTUR. He was the President of the Hotel and Tourism Association of Colombia, COTELCO, the Colombia Chamber of Tourism and the Ibero-American Hotel Association, and a member of the board for the World Hotel Organization and Vice-president of Affiliate Members of the UNWTO.
The overall objective is the renovation and transformation of the UNWTO, towards an increase of its utility to the countries and members of the Organization by interpreting the scope and current and future needs of world tourism, and by harmonizing its principles with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG´s) of the 2030 Agenda. To built a revitalized structure and a renewed results-oriented strategic plan including targets, programs, actions, and management indicators.
Strategies and program towards a more open, inclusive and democratic UNWTO
• Significant increase in the membership of Member States and Affiliate Members, that contribute to strengthen the budget of the Organization. Achieve a modernized UNWTO with higher efficiency and enhanced synergy with the United Nations (UN)
• Governance and good practices of the United Nations, reduction of internal expenses and more resources for investment.
A UNWTO that achieves a more agile interpretation of the challenges faced by the global tourism of the present and future
• Promote new public policies to support countries with touristic potential as partners, mainly in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
A UNWTO that promotes new support tools for the strengthening of the tourism sector of countries and regions
• Increased presence of the Organization in Member States.
• New support tools in the areas of training, advice, funding and project structuring.
• Create a Tourism Development Fund in order to support the projects of Member States with impact on MSME´s.
Establish greater synergy and interaction with Spain as the headquarters and host country of the UNWTO
• New headquarters in Madrid in line with other United Nations premises worldwide
Original eTN articles are editorially regulated according to news values, significance, and accuracy, copyright protected, and independent of any advertising and sponsorship carried unless clearly marked otherwise.