Who’s Where in Travel: New From Crystal, Leading Hotels
Crystal, Leading Hotels of the World and a number of other hotels made new executive announcements and changes this week.
Crystal Expedition Cruises announced that Harry Ter Horst will serve as the hotel director for the new Crystal Endeavor, which is set to launch in August 2020. Ter Horst served as hotel director aboard Crystal Esprit in 2015, and he has worked in a number of other positions on cruise ships, expedition ships and private yachts, most recently as a hotel director with Hurtigruten.
In hotel news, Leading Hotels of the World appointed Chris Walker to the position of SVP global sales, making him responsible for leading the company’s global sales organization and strategy. He will be based in Leading Hotels’ New York headquarters and will report directly to Interim CEO Shannon Knapp. Walker’s appointment is a return to Leading Hotels, where he previously spent four years serving as SVP sales – Americas. Additionally, effective September 13, Philip Ho will step down from his position as SVP, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Asia Pacific.
Also this week Outrigger Hospitality Group named Henry Schwartz its VP and chief information officer. Schwartz comes to Outrigger with over 20 years of experience at KSL Resorts, where he also served as vice president of IT.
In the Caribbean, Grace Bay Resorts promoted Angella Tyson to director of reservations for the Turks & Caicos-based luxury hotel brand. Tyson has been with the brand for nearly 14 years, and she has over 25 years of managerial experience in the tourism industry.
Chablé Hotels & Resorts in Mexico appointed Pilar Rios its corporate director of sales and marketing. In this role, Rios will manage the overall sales and marketing strategy for Chablé Yucatán in Chocholá, Chablé Maroma in Riviera Maya, as well as all future Chablé projects. She has more than 25 years of experience with luxury hotel brands in Mexico in senior sales and marketing roles, serving as cluster director of sales and marketing with Melia Hotels International before coming to Chablé.
A number of individual properties also made new leadership appointments this week:
- Sascha Hemmann was appointed managing director of Rosewood Bermuda.
- The Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino announced the appointment of Vasco Baselli as GM.
- The Thompson Chicago named Paul Cardona its GM.
- The Wigwam appointed Katy Powers as managing director and general manager.
- The Westin Tampa Bay welcomed David Sheets as its new GM.
- The Omni King Edward Hotel named Patrick Cappa its new GM.
- The Sorrel River Ranch Resort & Spa appointed Keith Hill as its new general manager and David Corke as its new national sales manager.
- The Carté Hotel San Diego Downtown, Curio Collection by Hilton, appointed a new leadership team ahead of its summer opening: Henri Birmele as general manager, Chans Rock as director of food and beverage and MarQuies Willis as director of sales and marketing.
- Nash Tennant was named the new general manager of h Club Los Angeles.
- Finally, in air travel news, JetBlue appointed Teri P. McClure to its board of directors. The independent director appointment is effective immediately. Most recently McClure served as chief human resources officer and senior vice president of labor at UPS.