WTTC Tourism for Tomorrow Awards 2019 applications are now open
Today, the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) calls on Travel & Tourism organisations to showcase their achievements by entering in the Tourism for Tomorrow Awards 2019.
Since the beginning of the Tourism for Tomorrow Awards under WTTC, there have been approximately 2,450 applicants from over 50 countries, 186 finalists, and 62 winners who have demonstrated economic, environmental, and social & cultural benefits from best practices in sustainable tourism.
Gloria Guevara, President & CEO, WTTC said: “This year’s Tourism for Tomorrow Awards celebrate 15 years of winners, stories, and leadership. We are pleased to announce that applications for the 2019 WTTC Tourism for Tomorrow Awards has opened today.
Over the past 15 years, Tourism for Tomorrow winners have exemplified leadership in responsible tourism initiatives and set the absolute benchmark for their industry peers. On behalf of WTTC and our members, I welcome organisations operating within the sustainable tourism space to apply to the Awards programme, which serve to further educate governments and the public and private sector through their outstanding accomplishments.”
Fiona Jeffery OBE, Founder and Chairman of the international water aid charity Just a Drop and Chairman of the WTTC Tourism for Tomorrow Awards, said: “15 years of the Tourism for Tomorrow Awards is a significant milestone. These awards are regarded as the “Oscars” of the Sustainable Tourism Sector setting the highest standards of achievement in the world. They provide an important benchmark for social, environmental and economic best practise.
Fundamentally they reflect and promote a code of conduct and set of values that the travel and tourism industry should strive and be proud to uphold and have sit in its operational DNA. As our sector continues to expand and evolve, it’s vital we recognise and support innovative businesses who demonstrate sustainable practises and ensure we protect our communities and planet for future generations. I look forward to marking a special year.”
AIG Travel, Inc., the travel insurance and global assistance division of leading international insurance organisation American International Group, Inc., will be the Official Headline Sponsor of the Awards programme for the fifth year.
Jeff Rutledge, CEO, AIG Travel, Inc., said: “The principles the Tourism for Tomorrow Awards exemplify are crucial to the growth of sustainable tourism. AIG is strongly committed to these principles, and we are honoured to celebrate the 15th year of the Tourism for Tomorrow Awards as the headline sponsor for the fifth consecutive year.”
The Tourism for Tomorrow Awards recognise best practice in sustainable tourism within the industry globally, based upon the principles of environmentally friendly operations; support for the protection of cultural and natural heritage; and direct benefits to the social and economic well-being of local people in travel destinations around the world.
This year applicants can enter in the following five categories: Social Impact, Destination Stewardship, Climate Action, Changemakers, and Investing in People.
Google News, Bing News, Yahoo News, 200+ publications
- The Social Impact Award recognises an organisation working to improve the people and places where it operates.
- The Destination Stewardship Award celebrates organisations that have rejuvenated a place, maintained and developed its authenticity, brought stakeholders together and created something new and attractive.
- The Climate Action Award seeks to recognise innovative actions through either behaviour change of guests and employees, policy changes or the introduction of technology, to reduce the scale and impacts of climate change.
- The Investing in People Award recognises an organisation demonstrating leadership in becoming an exciting, attractive and equitable employer in the sector.
- The Changemakers Award is a newly introduced category which recognises an organisation which has made real, positive and impactful change in a specific area of focus, which will change each year. In 2019, the focus will be on fighting the illegal wildlife trade through sustainable tourism.
The 2019 Finalists will be announced in January 2019 and the winners will be announced during next year’s WTTC Global Summit, which will take place in Seville, Spain, 3-4 April 2019.
The 2018 Award winners were; Global Himalayan Expedition, India; Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association, British Columbia, Canada; Airport Authority Hong Kong, Hong Kong; Virgin Atlantic, United Kingdom; and Cayuga Collection of Sustainable Luxury Hotels and Lodges, Costa Rica.
Award applicants can apply online via http://wttc.org/T4TAwards
Entries open today and the closing date is 14 November 2018. #T4TAwards
About the Tourism for Tomorrow Awards:
The 2019 Awards programme has five categories:
• Social Impact Award – recognises organisations that are working to improve the people and places where they operate.
• Destination Stewardship Award – recognizes destinations which help a place to thrive and bring forward its unique identity for the benefit of its resident and tourists.
• Climate Action Award – recognises organizations undertaking significant and measurable work to reduce the scale and impacts of climate change.
• Changemakers Award – recognises organizations that have made real, positive and impactful change in a specific area of focus defined by WTTC. This focus will change each year, and in 2019 will focus on fighting the illegal wildlife trade through sustainable tourism.
• Investing in People Award – recognises organisations demonstrating leadership in becoming an exciting, attractive and equitable employer in the sector.
Finalists and winners receive complimentary flights and accommodation and will be recognised during an Awards ceremony which will take place as part of the WTTC Global Summit in Seville, Spain on 3-4 April 2019. Finalists and winners get to meet the Travel & Tourism industry’s top Chief Executives, leading journalists, renowned experts and government officials attending the Summit.
Tourism for Tomorrow Award Partners:
• Headline Sponsor of the Tourism for Tomorrow Awards: AIG Travel, Inc.
• Category Sponsors: Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority, Value Retail
• Awards Supporters: Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA), African Travel and Tourism Association (ATTA), Asian Ecotourism Network (AEN), BEST Education Network (BEST-EN), Considerate Hoteliers, EUROPARC Federation, Fair Trade Tourism (FTT), The Long Run, The Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA), The Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC), Tony Charters and Associates, Travelife, Voyageons Autrement, The International National Trusts Organisation, Impact Travel Alliance